- Written in clear, concise, simple language using the 3rd
- Address what the “rule” (policy) is, not how to implement it.
- Policies should be factual.
- Align with policy.
- Developed with the user in mind. Make procedures understandable and easy to follow.
- Policies should be drafted in MS Word, using Calibri 12 point font.
- Words should be selected carefully. Words such as should or may imply choice. All includes everyone.
- Do not use information that may become outdated such as employee names.
- When using acronyms, spell out the words the first time and indicate the acronym in parenthesis.
- If “borrowing” language from other schools, remember to adapt it to the language we use at Bergen.