Placement Test and Waiver (Basic Skills)
- Classic Accuplacer test to be administered up though 1/25/2019.
- Starting 1/28/2019 the Next Generation Accuplacer test consisting of the Arithmetic and Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics sections will be administered. This includes Challenge testing. Study guides are available on CollegeBoard.
- Classic Accuplacer test to be administered up though 12/14/2018.
- Starting 12/17/2018 the Next Generation Accuplacer test will be administered. This includes Challenge testing. Study guides available on CollegeBoard.
- There are no changes to administering the ESL/ALP Accuplacer or study guides.
Placement Test and Waiver
- Bergen Community College administers the Accuplacer examination to determine a student’s levels in English, Mathematics, and Algebra. The Accuplacer examination is a computer delivered exam with three (3) untimed multiple choice sections comprised of Reading, Arithmetic, Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics, and a timed written essay.
- The results of this test determine a student’s required entry level courses in both English and mathematics.
- You are strongly urged to study for the placement test. Please review for the placement examination using the Accuplacer study guides web page.
- There is no fee for this examination.
- Under specific conditions, a student may have the placement test requirement waived. Please check below to determine if you can be waived from the Accuplacer examination.
- The Accuplacer examination is administered on a walk-in basis in the Pitkin Education Center, Paramus Campus in room S127. Please pick a current test date from the calendar and come prepared to take the exam with a pen, a government issued picture I.D., and know your Social Security number. No test will be administered without proper identification.
Who Must Take a Basic Skills Placement Test?
- All full-time and part-time students in a degree or certificate program are required to test before registering for all courses.
- All full-time and part-time non-degree seeking students who wish to enroll in English or mathematics courses.
- All full-time and part-time non-degree seeking students who have accumulated eleven (11) attempted credits (based on completed courses earning one of the following grades: A, B, C, D, R, E, W, AU, Q, N, or INC).
What conditions can waive the placement test requirement?
- If you hold a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral degree from an accredited college or university in the United States.
- If you have taken a college-level English and/or mathematics course, other than accounting in the United States.
- If you have previously taken an Accuplacer exam at another college (within five years).
- If you have taken the AP exam in English or mathematics and have a score of 3 or higher.
- If you have taken the SAT examination prior to March 2016 with a score of 530 or above in math and/or 540 or above in Critical Reading (within five years).
- If you have taken the SAT examination since March 2016 with a score of 500 or above in math and/or 450 or above in Evidence-Based Reading & Writing (within five years).
- If you have a math ACT score prior to March 2016 of 23 or higher (within five years). Prior to March 2016, we do not accept the English ACT scores.
- If you have a math ACT score since March 2016 of 22 or higher and/or an English ACT score of 19 or higher (within five years).
- If you have TOEFL test scores of 550 or above (paper/pencil version), 213 or above (computerized version) or 80 or above (internet based version) (within two years).
- If you have taken the IELTS examination (academic version) and have a score of 6.5 or above (within two years).
- If you have taken a college-level mathematics course, other than accounting at a college/university from a country other than the US, please submit a “course by course” evaluation from a current member at NACES (http://www.naces.org/members.html).
You may be required to take the Accuplacer ESL test.
If any of the above conditions apply, please complete the Waiver Request Form online. To complete this form you are required to set-up your Portal account and use the username and password for Portal. You are required to upload documents to the waiver form. Please be advised that you will not see the documents in the final PDF file. However, we will be able to access your attachments. Please allow a minimum of 1-2 business days for waiver processing.
For Health Professions applicants that do not have access to a Portal account, please either stop by the Testing Services office or email [email protected] for further instructions.
How to Read Placement Test Results
The required courses resulting from the test scores are listed at the end of the Accuplacer score report, which the student receives at the completion of the test.
Understanding Your Accuplacer Scores (PDF)
If you have taken the Accuplacer examination and have a placement in remedial English or mathematics please click the placement below for specific information about your placement(s).
The MAT 040/048 placement is major driven, for information about which degree programs require which placement please review these documents:
It is strongly recommended to sit with an academic advisor before registering for classes. Academic Advising is located in room A118, Center for Student Success. For further information please visit the new student advising webpage
For questions or further information, please contact The Office of Testing Services at (201) 447-7203, email us at [email protected], or visit us in the Paramus Campus, Pitkin Education Center, room S127.
Please note: The Office of Testing Services cannot answer specific questions over the phone about a student or the student’s placement test results. All students must come to the office in room S-127 with government issued photo identification to receive specific information about an examination in The Office of Testing Services. Third parties never receive specific information about a student as per The Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). For more information about FERPA at BCC click here.